Prep 1 min
Cook 0 mins
I found this recipe on the Totally Barbados website when looking for a rum cocktail that doesn't require any tropical fruit (only because I didn't have any on hand at the time). So I gave this a try, and it's quite good. I made it with passion fruit juice instead of water. The original source explained that the word "punch" comes from the Indian word "paunch", which means five, and the five refers to the five ingredients of sour, sweet, strong, weak and spice. And this cocktail follows the standard of including one measure of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, and four of weak with a dash of bitters and sprinkle of spice.
- 1⁄2 ounce lime juice, fresh squeezed is best
- 1 ounce sugar syrup (a mix of sugar and water cooked over low heat until sugar dissolves) or 1 ounce simple syrup (a mix of sugar and water cooked over low heat until sugar dissolves)
- 1 1⁄2 ounces dark caribbean rum
- 2 ounces water or 2 ounces passion fruit juice
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
- 2 -3 ice cubes
- Place ice cubes in tall glass. Add lime juice and sugar syrup and stir.
- Add rum and water (or passionfruit juice), and stir.
- Add bitters and nutmeg on top, and serve immediately.
Delicious, NorthwestGal! After this drink I slathered on the suntan lotion and headed for the beach! I'll have another when I return! Made for ZWT9, team Gourmet Goddesses.
I used the juice and this is very tasty! Made for ZWT #9
I used passion fruit juice. I think the angostura bitters added a nice touch to the drink. It's very yummy and tropical. Thanks NorthwestGal :) Made for ZWT9