Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Grill or roast the chicken. Top the chicken with a cool, fruity salsa.
Make and share this Rum Marinated Chicken With Tropical Salsa recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup light rum
- 1⁄4 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups diced mangoes (slightly underripe, if possible)
- 2 cups diced papayas
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 green onions, chopped (the whole onion)
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- Combine marinade ingredients in a glass or plastic container. Add raw chicken breasts.
- Chill for at least 6-8 hours; turning halfway through marinating time.
- To prepare salsa, combine all salsa ingredients in a bowl. Chill until needed, but try to serve the salsa at room temperature
- After chicken has marinated, grill over hot coals until juices no longer pink, or roast in oven at 375 for about 20-30 or until juices run clear.
- Serve topped with the fruit salsa.
I made this recipe, along with two others from the RSC '06, for a 'Spring Break' theme night for my family. Everyone raved how fresh and tasty it was! My mom noted that the taste of the chicken could have stood alone but the salsa made it great. They were eating the left-over salsa the next day with tortilla chips. I didn't have tarragon vinegar so I just added tarragon to the marinade with apple cider vinegar. I made up the salsa the night before and let the chicken marinade over night as well so the flavors really had a chance to mingle. It's a great low-fat recipe!
Sorry but we found the chicken was very bland, after marinating it overnight it just didn't have a lot of taste, I thought the rum would come through but it didn't. I roasted the chicken, the timing was perfect, lovely and juicy. We did enjoy the salsa very much, lots of taste there. The hint of ginger was wonderful. I will try the left over salsa on fish tomorrow night. Good luck in the contest.
Very good, easy to prepare and lots of flavour