Prep 35 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Martha Stewart. Keep wooden skewers soaked in water to prevent them from scorching on the grill.
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, plus
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely-grated freshly peeled gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 32 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 ripe but firm mango, peeled and sliced into 8 slivers (about 1 inch thick each)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for grates
- 2 bunches watercress, stems trimmed
- For glaze: In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup lime juice, rum, sugar, and ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and let simmer, whisking it occasionally until the mixture slightly thickens after about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water, then stir in lime-juice mixture.
- Cook and stir until it thickens after about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Put shrimp on 8 skewers, with 4 shrimp on each skewer. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place mango slices on 4 skewers, with 2 pieces on each skewer.
- Brush shrimp and mango with glaze.
- Heat grill to medium-high and oil grates. Place skewers on grill and turn once until blackened in spots and shrimp is opaque throughout, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk remaining tablespoon of lime juice with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add watercress and toss.
- Divide watercress among 4 plates, and top each with 2 shrimp skewers and 1 mango skewer to serve.