Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This fantastic-looking barbecue recipe comes from Casey (Atomic Rose) on the IBS boards. She says it works better to grill the mango on separate skewers from everything else, since it cooks much more quickly than the chicken does. Once again, storing this here to try ASAP!
- 3⁄4 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeno peppers (I plan to omit!)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lime rind
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 30 pieces
- 2 mangoes, peeled and cut into 18 pieces total (can substitute fresh ripe peaches)
- 18 cubes fresh pineapple, 1-inch in size
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- Prepare grill.
- Combine first 4 glaze ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Combine vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to the pan, bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime rind.
- Thread 5 pieces chicken, 3 pieces mango, and 3 pieces pineapple alternately onto each of 6 (12-inch) skewers. Brush kebabs with oil (or spray with cooking spray); sprinkle with salt. Place on grill rack coated with cooking spray, cook for 4 minutes. Turn, brush with half the glaze, cook 4 more minutes. Turn again, brush with remaining glaze, and cook 2 minutes.
Good flavor and easy to prepare. Would definitely not omit the pepper, it adds a nice spice...but not overwhelming. The glaze was perfect on the fruits, but left the chicken slightly slimy. This can probably be corrected by cooking slightly longer, or at a slightly higher grill temperature.