Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Sandi's Recipe Center, looked too good to pass up.
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 7 tablespoons dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional) or whipped topping (optional)
- finely chopped almonds, for sprinling garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8" square baking dish and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons cocoa.
- Mix butter, milk and vanilla into the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle top of batter with remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining cocoa.
- Pur water and rum over.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream or whipped topping on the side, if desired.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped nuts on top.