Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a heavy cake with lots of fruit and rum flavors!
- 1⁄4 cup dried mango
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dried papaya
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup rum (dark is the best!)
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- soak mango, papaya, currants and zest in 1/2 cup rum (while you prepare the rest of the ingredients).
- cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla and sour cream.
- sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder.
- Add butter and flour mixture together. Stir.
- Add fruit mixture and coconut.
- (if too dry add just a little more rum!).
- Place mixture in a bundt pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees 1 1/2 hours or until cake is done!
- While cake is warm, poke holes in the top with tooth pick and sprinkle remaining 3 tbls rum.
This is a yummy cake! Even better if you replace the white sugar with brown sugar, packed. I dried my mango and papaya in the dehydrator, so it wasn't quite as "candied" as with the purchased dried fruits. I used Appleton Reserve Jamaican Rum, (it's dark.) The batter was like cookie dough, so I followed instructions and added more rum! After 2 Tablespoons I got a little worried about messing with a baking recipe any more, added 1 more Tablespoon of firmly packed brown sugar, and let it drop into a well oiled bundt pan. It cooked for EXACTLY 1 hour and was perfect. I put a simple powdered sugar glaze and some flaked coconut on top. It turned out just sweet enough and not TOO sweet. My family is IN LOVE with this cake and I will make it again!
This cake is fabulous; and it gets even better for keeping! We loved it and I will definately be making this recipe again. Thank you for creating this gem of a cake.
although this sounded really good in theory it didn't work for me .i baked it in a bundt pan, it hardly rose . i think it would have been better cooked for 1 hour, but that is my fault as i set the oven and didn't check it sooner. my oven bakes slow so i usually have to add more time, but this was overdone and the fruit was chewy. i do think it was a good effort for the contest and i'm sorry it didn't work out better.