1/2 Photos of Rum French Toast Crunch
Ahoy, mateys! Looking for a hearty and delicious breakfast before you set sail? Delight in the flavors of this rum-enhanced French Toast with a crunchy topping! It beats hard tack any day…. Me crew enjoys it with a side of sausage links (meat or vegetarian friendly ones, as desired). Enjoy! (This recipe was created for the Raiders of the Lost Pantry pirate contest in the Contests & Events forum - come check out the forum!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 eggs
- salt, to taste
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
Rum syrup drizzle
- 1Whisk together evaporated milk, rum, eggs, and salt, and pour into a long dish good for dipping (I use a 9x13” rectangular glass dish and put in the bread slices two at a time). Set aside.
- 2Prepare topping -- Preheat oven to 325°F Combine macadamia nuts, coconut, butter and honey, and mix well. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 3Bake until lightly golden, about 12-15 minutes. Be aware that macadamia nuts will go from toasted to burned quickly, so keep a close eye on them if keeping them in longer.
- 4Remove from oven and stir in raisins. Set aside.
- 5While the topping is baking, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a large skillet that can contain two slices of bread.
- 6Dip two pieces of bread into the milk mixture and let soak for a few seconds. Flip over and let the second side soak for a few seconds.
- 7When butter is melted, add both slices of bread and let cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- 8Repeat until all 8 pieces are cooked.
- 9For the drizzle, combine syrup and rum and mix well. If desired, warm through in a small saucepan on the stove.
- 10To serve, cut each piece of toast in half diagonally. Place four halves on each plate. Sprinkle with the crunch mixture and add a small drizzle of rum syrup. Serve with any extra crunch and maple syrup on the table to add as desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rum French Toast Crunch
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 937.1
- Calories from Fat 513
- Total Fat 57.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.0 g
- Cholesterol 197.4 mg
- Sodium 574.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 49.5 g
- Protein 15.4 g