Recipe by yellowmix
I saw my girlfriend off as she departed on her girl's shore day trip. Left to my own devices, as I am wont to do when her refined palate does not restrict my culinary instinct, I prepared this from the ingredients lying around. It was rather satisfying much in the same way Welsh rarebit is. I used Brinley Gold Coffee Rum, which is quite sweet, so it did not need any help from the honey and vanilla.
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄16 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ounces milk
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated (or Emmental, Provolone, Double Gloucester)
- 1 corn tortilla
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk egg, rum, honey, vanilla, milk, and salt in a small bowl.
- Pour mixture into saucepan over low heat and scramble.
- In another pan, fry the tortilla in the oil over medium-high heat to firm it up slightly, about 1 minute.
- Bring the heat on the tortilla down to low.
- Sprinkle half the cheese on half of the tortilla.
- Place the scrambled egg on top of the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining half of the cheese on top of the egg.
- Fold the tortilla over in half using a turner.
- Press down on the folded tortilla with the turner to bind the quesadilla together and grips the tortilla some more, approximately 1 minute. Turn once and repeat.
- Serve immediately.