Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My sister in laws favourite dessert...enjoy from Enchanted Evenings by John Hadamuscin
Make and share this Rum-doused Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 10" tube pan or bundt pan.
- In large bowl, beat together butter, cream cheese until well blended.
- Mix in sugar, eggs, and lemon rind until light and fluffy.
- In seperate bowl sift, flour and baking powder, stir into butter mixture.
- Add in poppy seeds.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Drizzle rum over cooled cake slowly, allowing for absorption before drizzling on rest.
- Cover and let stand 2 or 3 hours before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Excellent flavor, very nice texture. I think this recipe would also makes great poppy-seed muffins. Keeper recipe. Thank you for sharing it. UPDATE: This cake tastes better the next day.
Used lime rind as I did not have any lemon at the time. I don't think the taste suffered any for this substitution. A lovely cake.
Great cake BK! I increased the poppy seeds to about 1/3 cup, and used 2 heaping tablespoons lemon zest in place of the lemon juice, also I addded in 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, it baked out wonderful, my lemon-loving DH will enjoy this tonight drizzled with rum! thanks for sharing!...Kitten:)