Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄3 cups regular rolled oats
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cooking apples, peeled,cored,and sliced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 cup raisins, soaked in warm water
- sweetened whipped cream
- Combine the oats, butter, and brown sugar.
- Press mixture onto the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate and bake at 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes; let cool.
- In a saucepan combine the water, 1 cup sugar, and lemon juice, and bring to a boil.
- Add the sliced apples and poach gently until apples are tender.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the syrup.
- In a saucepan combine the cornstarch, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, and salt; gradually blend in the reserved syrup and half and half and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in the rum and raisins, then let cool slightly.
- Pour half of the cream mixture into the pie shell.
- Arrange the apple slices over the cream mixture (reserving a few slices for garnish), then top the apples with the remaining cream mixture.
- Arrange reserved apple slices on top for garnish.
- Refrigerate until set and well-chilled.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Fabulous! I did not have the lemon so I added 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the syrup mixture. I also was out of rum so I used 1 tsp of rum extract. This is so delicous and fairly easy to make. Next time I might make a little bit more of the crust mixture because I did not have enough to press around the side of the pan. This was better than your typical same apple pie. Highly recommend trying. Thank you for posting!