Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this recipe from the Spring Gourmet Gala on Kauai. Absolutely delicious and similar to rice pudding.
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1 cup rum (dark)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup coconut (shredded)
- 1 (12 ounce) can whipped cream
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (candied)
- Saute risotto and melted butter.
- Add 1/2 cup rum to saute mixture over low heat and let rice absorb the rum.
- In a separate pan heat sugar, coconut milk, heavy cream, and water. Once sugar is dissolved add the rice mixture a little at a time, stirring often (about 20 minutes).
- Cook over low heat until rice is tender and creamy.
- Stir into mixture vanilla, other 1/2 cup rum, and coconut.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Serve in little dishes topped with whipped cream and candied pecans.
I needed something different to take to a Hawaiian themed dinner and this came up under coconut ingredients recipes. Let me tell you how amazingly wonderful this was. The recipe was very straight forward and easy to follow,except step 3 >you should add the liquid to the rice mixture a little at a time<. The directions read like you add the rice to the liquid. The ingredients were easy to get and the whole thing came together in no time. I do want to say I had to make two batches because my husband and I ate almost all of the first one while it was still warm. We liked it better warm, the flavors were much more pronounced and the risotto was much creamier. The rum flavor especially seemed to disappear when it cooled and it 'set up' very stiffly. I topped it with toasted shredded coconut and it was gone in no time. I am making it again to take to a church pot-luck and will serve it warm/ room this time.