Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Source: Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Cooking Cookbook
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxbetter crocker yellow cake mix
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 3 (8inch) round cake pans with non-stick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, rum, water, eggs and oil on low speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 prepared pans.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes or until tester comes away clean.
- Cool completely before icing.
- For icing:
- Melt butter with brown sugar in medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add milk and bring to a hard boil, stirring constantly until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Let cool to room temperatureand transfer to a medium bowl.
- Use an electric mixer on medium speed to beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread icing on top of each cake round.
- Stack and ice the sides and top of the cake.
i only used the cake part of this recipe, i decided to bake at the last minute. i used vanilla rum since thats what i had, and baked it in 2 heart shaped pans. this was moist and delicious , everyone enjoyed it. thanks for posting.