Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Trinidad in the Caribbean. The islands are famous for their rums and many of the recipes include it. If you like rum, you'll love this recipe.
- 9 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 3 tablespoons strained fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (finely grated lime rind)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
Coconut cream sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- With a pastry brush, spread 1 tablespoon butter over bottom and sides of an 8" spring form cake pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour into pan evenly; remove excess flour.
- In a deep bowl, cream remaining butter with sugar until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add rum, lime juice, zest.
- Continue beating until batter is smooth.
- Combine remaining flour, cornmeal and baking powder about 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into the floured pan.
- Bake in middle of oven for approximately 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely; remove from pan.
- Cake is traditionally served with coconut cream sauce.
- Coconut cream sauce:.
- Combine sugar and water in a 2-3 quart pot.
- Bring to a boil over a moderate heat, stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and cook briskly uncovered and undisturbed until syrup reaches 230° with candy thermometer OR forms soft ball if dropped into cold water.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stirring constantly pour in coconut cream in a thin slow stream.
- Beat egg yolks until they are well blended.
- Stir about 1/4 cup of hot syrup mixture into yolks, then beat mixture back into remaining syrup.
- Return pan to low heat and stir for 4-5 minutes until sauce has the consistency of heavy cream.
- Off of the heat stir in vanilla and rum.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate the sauce for at least 2 hours or until it is thoroughly chilled.
- Serve with RUM CAKE.