Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This cake is one of my favorites. It is wonderful for parties and carry-ins during the holidays. It is very easy and so tasty!
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup rum
- Grease and flour bundt or tube pan.
- Mix together cake ingredients (mix thru rum).
- Spread 2 cups chopped walnuts on bottom of pan.
- Pour batter on top and bake 325 degrees for about one hour.
- While cake is still warm, prick all over with fork and pour glaze over all.
- In small saucepan melt glaze ingredients.
- Mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour slowly over cake.
About 25 years ago, a co-worker brought in rum cake for a potluck. I've never been able to get that out of my head, and I decided to look for a recipe this past weekend and came across this one. I made it exactly as described, and my husband said "no wonder you never forgot that cake". This is going into our regular rotation. My son teenage son helped make it and thought is was better than the Tortuga rum cake we got last year.
I made two of these in 72 hours and one slice remains. Easy, flavorful and a lovely presentation. I used pecans by preference and vanilla cake mix. I have made it with the yellow cake mix and walnuts and it is equally amazing. Thanks!
This is also posted on the Internet as the original Barcardi Rum Cake. I substituted 1 cup of chopped pecans for the walnuts as it was all that I had. This recipe never fails. It is my no fail cake for get togethers.