Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Southern Living 1981 comes this recipe for sweet rum-flavored buns laced with raisins and cinnamon and topped with a sugary glaze. This yields 2 dozen buns and they freeze beautifully, but the recipe is easily halved.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rum flavoring
- For the Buns: dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside for 10-15 minutes to proof.
- In a large bowl, combine the scalded milk, softened butter, sugar, eggs, salt and rum flavoring.
- Beat until well blended and add the yeast mixture.
- Add the flour; beat until well mixed and the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out on a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it; turn to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch the dough down and divide in half.
- Roll each dough half out on a floured surface to a 13x8" rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Combine the brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough rectangles.
- Roll each rectangle from one of the long sides jellyroll style and seal the edges.
- Slice in 1 1/2" slices and place 1" apart in a greased 13x9" pan and a greased 8" square pan.
- Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes, or until doubled again.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden; remove from pans and cool on racks.
- While still warm, drizzle the glaze over the buns.
- For the Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, milk and rum flavoring; blend well.
- Drizzle over buns.
Excellent Buns!!! At first I thought that it was difficult to make, but "I should give it a try"! Althought the dough didn't rise at first and I thought that I have made a disaster, the result were some Excellents buns. They rise later in the oven and what a smell while baking!!! I halfed the recipe and had 10 big buns and 2 smaller. After I made the dough I noticed that I didn't have any raisins and I made it without. Next time I'll adde some raisins and walnuts. It was the first time making buns but it wasn't the last. Thanks so much Dreamgoddess! Made it for ZWT3.
Oh My! Have just wolfed down one of these delectable morsals and they are yummy! I used about 1/5th wholemeal bread flour, extra milk and missed out the rum flavouring as I didn't have any-I was too scared to add actual rum. Instead I increased the cinnamon and added vanilla to the icing. My skill at baking does not run to the wonderful bun pictured but I managed to create ugly little treasures. Thanks for this one Dreamgoddess.To be repeated.
How did I miss reviewing these?? I made them several weeks ago for a photo swap and they turned out beautifully. They are best warm but they were still good the next day. The rum flavoring could easily be replaced with a different flavoring if you prefer but it did add a neat flavor to them. Thanks for such a fun recipe dreamgoddess. Sorry about the late review!