1/4 Photos of Rum Buns
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
From Southern Living 1981 comes this recipe for sweet rum-flavored buns laced with raisins and cinnamon and topped with a sugary glaze. This yields 2 dozen buns and they freeze beautifully, but the recipe is easily halved.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1For the Buns: dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside for 10-15 minutes to proof.
- 2In a large bowl, combine the scalded milk, softened butter, sugar, eggs, salt and rum flavoring.
- 3Beat until well blended and add the yeast mixture.
- 4Add the flour; beat until well mixed and the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- 5Turn out on a floured surface and knead about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- 6Grease a large bowl and place the dough in it; turn to grease the top.
- 7Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- 8Punch the dough down and divide in half.
- 9Roll each dough half out on a floured surface to a 13x8" rectangle.
- 10Brush with melted butter.
- 11Combine the brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon and sprinkle over the dough rectangles.
- 12Roll each rectangle from one of the long sides jellyroll style and seal the edges.
- 13Slice in 1 1/2" slices and place 1" apart in a greased 13x9" pan and a greased 8" square pan.
- 14Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes, or until doubled again.
- 15Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden; remove from pans and cool on racks.
- 16While still warm, drizzle the glaze over the buns.
- 17For the Glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, milk and rum flavoring; blend well.
- 18Drizzle over buns.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rum Buns
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 242.6
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 151.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 3.7 g