Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A yummy sauce for ice cream. From Simple and Delicious
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 large bananas, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum extract
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, cream and maple syrup.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until sauce is smooth.
- Stir in bananas; heat through.
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract.
- Serve over ice cream.
Made this the other night to top our vanilla ice cream. It was super simple to make and very tasty. 5 out of 6 found it to be a bit to sweet though. I think this sauce would be excellent on top of toasted or grilled pound cake slices. So I am going to tuck it away for that purpose. Made and reviewed for the 39th AUS/NZ Recipe Swap.
After seeing Seasoned Cook's photo and review, I knew this was something I had to try. I couldn't believe how easy and quick it was to prepare. We did find it quite sweet, so very little would be needed. I tasted it before adding the extract, because I love the taste of butterscotch, but found for me, the extract took away from it. Guess I'm just not a rum kind of girl. ;) Not sure if I'd make it again, simply because of how very rich it is, but if I do, would stick wth the sauce without the rum. Thanks Morgainegeiser for a great taste experience. Made as a recipenap for the Auzzie/NZ Recipe Swap #30.
Very tasty! The sauce makes a great flavor on top of vanilla ice cream. I am a bigtime banana lover and this just did the trick for me! Prepared as a participant in the July 2009 Swap #30 Aus/NZ Event and the 5 A Day Veggies and Fruits Event in the Cooking Photo Forum.