Recipe by ChrisMc
These are one of my family's classic Christmas cookies...and I'm posting them in July. I know, I know - hush. Make sure you let these sit for several weeks before serving - the rum is a touch strong otherwise. Time includes mixing and forming the balls.
Top Review by Laura_Ozz
My mom used to make these with Southern Comfort for my dad & his friends and I remembered them being VERY strong. This year, mom and I decided to be adventurous so our first batch we made following the recipe except swapping butterscotch schnapps for the rum. DELICIOUS!! So we started thinking of what else we might like in them. Our next batch, we left out the cocoa powder and used Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay coconut rum. Oh my deliciousness!!! They are so good!! Now we're thinking about all our favorite flavors and the next batch I think will be made with cinnamon or peppermint schnapps. We also eat them the next day, lol! I guess we just can't wait 2 weeks for them! Anyway, thanks for sharing this classic recipe! :)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 lb finely ground vanilla wafer
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend all ingredients except powdered sugar until the mixture is a uniform consistency.
- Roll into balls approxiamtely 3/4 inch in diameter.
- Coat balls with powdered sugar.
- Let sit in containers in a cool place for 2 weeks before serving; this lets the alcohol evaporate, leaving the rum flavoring.