Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for the holidays, as a gift, or any time. These can be stored in an air tight container for a couple of weeks.
- 1 (12 ounce) box vanilla wafers, finely crushed
- 6 tablespoons rum
- 11 1⁄2 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- In medium bowl combine vanilla wafers and rum.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat melt the chips with the condensed milk. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Gradually add crumb mixture and nuts to the melted chocolate mixture. Mix well.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. To speed this process up, you can chill in refrigerator.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Dip in chocolate and place on wax paper to set up.
- NOTE: They have the small paper baking liners---I think they call them mini muffin baking liners. These are a great way to serve the rum balls and are attractive when using this as a gift. I store them in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks. I've also substituted pecans for the walnuts in this recipe. Both are good--so it really is a personal preference or nut availability.