Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 4 -5 lbs sweet potatoes or 4 -5 lbs yams
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum (Meyers)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on a baking sheet; bake for about 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven; when they are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh.
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes—it is ok if there are some lumps, the mixture does not have to be a fine puree.
- With a rasp grater or citrus zester, remove zest of both oranges; chop it and set aside.
- Juice the oranges, then stain the juice, pouring it into the potatoes.
- Add in half the zest, half the brown sugar, and half the rum.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish; dot the top with butter; sprinkle the remaining brown sugar and rum over the top.
- Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, scatter the remaining zest over the top.