Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
The 'twist' being the addition of lime juice which adds a really fresh taste to an unbeatable ice cream combination. Use your favorite liquid honey, but Orange Blossom was really good in the version I made. This ice cream is very easy as you don't have to make a cooked custard as is traditional - and it's egg-free!
- 3⁄4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup full-fat evaporated milk, mixed with
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey, orange blossom is nice
- Combine raisins, rum, lime juice and vanilla extract in small bowl; cover and stand overnight.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly; pour into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
We liked this ice cream but both thought the honey and rum came on a bit too strong. I used the ask for dark rum and a generic honey. Our personal opinion was that the honey could be cut in half and sugar (or splenda) used for the other 1/4 cup of sweetening and possibly using white rum would be better for us. That said, the ice cream has a smooth creamy, I could even say velvety, texture and the raisins are yummy.
So creamy, rich and delicious. Used honey from our befriended bee-keeper and strong dark rum. The raisins gives the little twist. Very good indeed. Thanks for creating and posting. Made for Raiders of the Lost Pantry Contest.
I was surprised only one made an ice cream recipe for this contest. I did myself have an ice cream recipe made the contest. I glad I didn't post it. I don`t eat it often and when I do I like to know what goes into it. This ice cream is creamy rich. My DH really liked it. He gives it 4-5 stars. I myself loved that it called for honey!!!!! I give it 5 stars. Thanks. Good luck!