Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I go through cravings, and sometimes it is a craving for anything with rum and raisin. :) This is wonderful. I am constantly craving chocolate, and it combines the two cravings!!! From Donna Hay's Flavours Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 200 g butter
- 125 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- Place raisins and rum in a saucepan over low heat and simmer till almost all of the rum has been absorbed.
- Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Place butter, chocolate in a DRY saucepan over low heat and stir till completely smooth.
- Place chocolate mixture in a bowl and add sugar, eggs, flour, cocoa, baking powder, raisins and mix till combined.
- Pour mixture into 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin that has been completely lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely and cut into squares to serve.
I followed this recipe very strictly. It yielded thick moist brownies that are very nice, but somehow I miss the walnuts and vanilla which I usually put in brownie batter. I did notice that there wasn't any salt, and so used ordinary salted butter. Thank you for the recipe. It was interesting to try something different. (But I guess I'm just set in my ways.)