Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this in response to a recipe request. Cooking time does not reflect time for chilling.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks, lean and boneless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1 lb pork tenderloin
- 8 cups water
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- Place steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4 ince thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Sprinkle steak evenly with salt, allspice, pepper and onion.
- Place pork on narrow end of steak, and roll steak around it.
- Secure at 2 inch intervals with heavy string.
- Place seam side down, in a large Dutch oven. Add water, broth, and pickling spice; cover and bake at 350 degrees for 3 hours or until tender.
- Remove from cooking liquids; let cool, and wrap in heavy duty plastic wrap.
- Discard cooking liquid.
- Place wrapped meat in an 8 1/2x4 1/2x3 inch loar dish. Place a weight on top of meat (a foil wrapped brick works well).
- Chill 8 hours. Remove string; cut into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Arrange on lettuce lined plate, if desired.