Recipe by Steve P.
This a very flakey pastry. Excellent with your morning coffee as well as a Holiday dessert. Traditional it is a Jewish recipe but my mom has always made these at Christmas too :)
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 lb sweet butter (unsalted)
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine flour, butter, and cream cheese to make a dough.
- Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Roll out dough on floured board to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut into small triangles.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and raisins and fill triangles in center.
- Roll up from the broad side to the pointed end to make into crescent shaped rolls.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until light golden brown about 20 to 25 minutes.
- You will have to watch the first batch closely to gauge baking time as every oven is a little different as well as how closely you came to the correct thickness when rolling the dough.
- Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- The raisin and walnut filling is traditional, but you can substitute any fruit jam or marmalade too.