Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
It is very close to Swedish. They make 4 loaves at time so I would use the button for 1 loaf.
- 6 teaspoons yeast
- 3 cups water, warm, divided
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 4 teaspoons anise seeds
- 2 cups Karo syrup, dark
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups rye flour
- 2 cups graham flour
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup orange zest
- 6 cups flour, may need more
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
- Add brown sugar, milk, and water.
- Add 2 cups white flour; beat well; let double in bulk.
- Mix anise seeds and dark syrup in saucepan; bring to a boil; cook 1 minute; strain out seeds.
- Add butter; cool.
- When lukewarm, add rye flour, graham flour, and salt to the yeast mixture.
- Add grated orange zest; and knead on floured board, adding enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- Let rise until double in bulk.
- Divide dough into 4 parts; place each in well greased pan; let rise until double in size.
- You can brush the tops with a mixture of Karo syrup and water; put in caraway seeds in last knead.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for at least 1 hour. Some start with 425 degree Fahrenheit oven for first 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.