This is a rich cream cheese dough filled with preserves and nuts. These taste just like the pastries from Ebinger's Bakery in Queens, New York. Adapted from Rosie's All Butter Fresh Cream Sugar Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 9 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/2 cup golden raisin
- 1 large egg
- 1Sift the flour and salt into a small bowl and set aside.
- 2Using electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and cream cheese together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape the bowl with a spatula.
- 3Add the dry ingredients and mix until blended, about 20 seconds, stopping the mixer once to scrape the bowl.
- 4Shape the dough into 2 equal thick rectangles, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and freeze for 2 hours.
- 5Remove 1 dough rectangle from the freezer and roll it out between 2 pieces of plastic wrap into a rectangle about 9"x8". It may be necessary to refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes duriing the rolling process, because it will become a bit sticky. Once rolled, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.While it is resting, remove the second rectangle from the freezer and roll it out the same way you did the first one.
- 6To fill the dough, unwrap one rectangle and place it on plastic wrap on a work surface. Spread half the preserves evenly over the rectangle, leaving uncovered a 1/2" strip along the length of one side.
- 7Mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Sprinkle half the cinnamon sugar, nuts, and raisins over the preserves.
- 8Loosen the edge of the dough that is covered with jam with a knife or spatula and roll it toward the uncovered edge like a jelly roll, peeling off the plastic wrap as you roll. The seam should be on the underside. Wrap the roll in plastic and refrigerate it. Repeat the process with the other dough rectangle. Keep the filled rolls refrigerated for 2 hours.
- 9Fifteen minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375*F. Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper or lightly grease them with butter or veg. oil.
- 10For the glaze, lightly beat the egg with a fork. Use a pastry brush to apply the glaze to the outside of the roll. Using a thin, sharp knife, carefully cut the rolls into pieces about 1 1/4" long.
- 11Place the rugalah about 1" apart on the cookie sheets.
- 12Bake the rugalah until golden, about 25 minutes.(Some of the jam will ooze out and start to darken.) Use a spatula to remove the rugalah from the pan immediately and place them on a rack to cool. When they are cool, place them in an airtight container for a day before serving so that the taste and consistency have a chance to settle.
- 13Makes 30 pieces.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rugalah(Russian Tea Pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (917 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.9
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 70.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 1.6 g