Recipe by curly top
Taken from joyofbaking.com. I love this super stuffed rugalach that seems to have all possible ingredients in the filling. The combination of chocolate, nuts, spices and orange zest smells amazing! The original recipe says to roast the nuts, I didn't and it always tastes fine.
Cream cheese dough
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold cut in pieces
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter until the cream cheese is softened but the butter is still chunky.
- On low speed slowly add the salt and flour.
- Beat until crumbly and beginning to clump together.
- Divide dough in two equal pieces.
- Flatten each into a rectangle and chill in refrigerator several hours.
- Meanwhile make filling.
- In food processor separately pulse chocolate, nuts and apricots until very finely chopped.
- Then combine them in a large bowl with remaining filling ingredients.
- Stir by hand until of uniform consistency.
- Between two sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper roll one chilled rectangle of dough to 13 x 9 inches.
- It helps if you draw a 13x9 rectangle on one sheet of your paper.
- Line the bottom of a 13x9 pan (lined with parchment paper) with one rectangle of dough.
- Spread filling over and gently pat to evenly spread.
- Roll second dough in same manner as first.
- Lay dough over filling, trimming as needed.
- Mix egg yolk and water.
- Brush over top layer of dough.
- Sprinkle with garnish sugar.
- Bake at 350°F 30-35 minutes until golden.
- Remove to rack and cool completely before cutting.