Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a german recipe my grandma always made. The ingredients are ones that are always on hand and it cooks up so quickly. My kids think they look and taste more like chopped up pancakes. We enjoy putting maple syrup on them!!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease or 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix all ingredients into a smooth dough, except eggs, which you beat well, and fold into first mixture.
- Put grease in frying pan and heat.
- Put in egg mixture, brown on both sides, cutting and turning while browning.
- Some like the ruehrei in larger chunks, others finer.
I saved some bacon grease to try this. We thought it had the flavor of French toast and the texture of a German pancake. We topped it with maple syrup but hought a fruit flavored syrup would be nice too. A very different way to have scrambled eggs. Thanks Elcowgirl. Bullwinkle