1/1 Photo of Rudy's Moroccan Stewed Chicken With Couscous
Amy Suzanne Martin's Note:
Tasty and low in sodium.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs, bone and skin removed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into half-rounds
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick half-rounds
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 lemon
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- couscous, whole wheat (or your favorite type)
- 1Heat the oil in a large deep skillet or a wide pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides, place them in the pan, and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they brown thoroughly. Remove chicken to a clean bowl, reserving any juices (at this point the chicken should not be fully cooked).
- 3In the same skillet, add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove onions to the bowl containing the chicken.
- 4If necessary, add a bit more olive oil to the skillet and let it get hot. Add the sliced zucchini and saute, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned.
- 5While the zucchini is cooking, measure the spices (cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and coriander) into a small bowl and combine.
- 6Add the chicken and onions, along with the collected juices, back to the pan. Add the garbanzo beans, tomatoes with their juices, spices, and chicken stock. Stir gently to combine.
- 7Turn heat to high until the stew gently boils. Immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- 8While the dish simmers, prepare the couscous according to package directions.
- 9Just before serving the chicken, add the juice of one lemon (about 1 1/2 Tbsp).
- 10Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- 11Serve over whole wheat couscous garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rudy's Moroccan Stewed Chicken With Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.1
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 95.5 mg
- Sodium 982.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 30.4 g