Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Tasty and low in sodium.
Make and share this Rudy's Moroccan Stewed Chicken With Couscous recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, bone and skin removed
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced into half-rounds
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick half-rounds
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 lemon
- fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
- couscous, whole wheat (or your favorite type)
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet or a wide pot over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides, place them in the pan, and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they brown thoroughly. Remove chicken to a clean bowl, reserving any juices (at this point the chicken should not be fully cooked).
- In the same skillet, add the onions and saute, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove onions to the bowl containing the chicken.
- If necessary, add a bit more olive oil to the skillet and let it get hot. Add the sliced zucchini and saute, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned.
- While the zucchini is cooking, measure the spices (cayenne pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and coriander) into a small bowl and combine.
- Add the chicken and onions, along with the collected juices, back to the pan. Add the garbanzo beans, tomatoes with their juices, spices, and chicken stock. Stir gently to combine.
- Turn heat to high until the stew gently boils. Immediately reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- While the dish simmers, prepare the couscous according to package directions.
- Just before serving the chicken, add the juice of one lemon (about 1 1/2 Tbsp).
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Serve over whole wheat couscous garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.