1/1 Photo of Rudy's Favorite Turkey Chili
Amy Suzanne Martin's Note:
Freezes nicely, but doesn't last long. We buy the large packages of ground turkey at a warehouse club and make up a big batch, to save time and money. Garlic is thought to help boost the immune system, so don't be shy with it. The cloves should be fresh and firm, and when mashed (with the side of the knife) and chopped they should smell sweet and not too pungent.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 22.18 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, diced (Vidalia, Maya Sweets, etc.)
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 8 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1133.98-1360.77 g turkey, ground (low fat)
- 4 (1757.67 g) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (822.13 g) can kidney beans, rinsed
- 44.37 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 14.79 ml oregano, dried
- 4.92 ml parsley, dried
- 7.39 ml chipotle chili pepper flakes, dried (or more, to taste)
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- reduced-fat sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- 1Heat a large soup pot on medium heat. Add oil, making sure the pot is not so hot that the oil smokes. Saute the onions and peppers for a minute or two, then add the minced garlic. Soften the garlic but don't let it burn.
- 2Add ground turkey to the pot. Stir frequently to brown the turkey throughout. When the meat is no longer pink, carefully ladle off as much of the fat as possible. Dispose of the discarded fat by placing it in an unwanted container (such as an empty can) and freeze it - don't pour it down the drain.
- 3Add tomatoes with their juices. Add remaining ingredients and stir gently. Simmer, uncovered, at least 20 minutes. Taste for seasonings, and adjust if necessary. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh cilantro.
- 4If your family prefers a mildly spiced chili, omit the chipotle. For a spicier chili, add your favorite chili sauce (Tabasco, Cholula, etc.) at the table.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rudy's Favorite Turkey Chili
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 452.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 25.0 g