Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my aunt Ruby's recipe, which I have been baking every year for the last 13 years. All I can say is, without a doubt, they are definitely worth the full day's effort to make. Plus...these can be baked and stored for months in the freezer.
- (This is the labor intensive part, but gives the best result). Cut into small pieces (quartered or smaller but still distinct pieces) the candied fruit and dates; and chop the pecans.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and spices.
- In a very large mixing bowl, cream butter& sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Add milk and Bourbon.
- Add the flour and spices mixture.
- Fold in fruit& nuts.
- (Messy, but this is easier done by hand).
- Drop by approximately 1 Tsp amounts onto a cookie sheet.
- They don't spread very much, so can be placed closely together.
- I can usually get about 30 on one cookie sheet.
- Bake each batch for 20-30 minutes.
- They should be slightly browned, firm but not hard.
- Be careful not to over bake.