Recipe by sweetcakes
Pasta, black beans, and chicken all mingling together in a spicy cream sauce. Recipe created by Todd Wilbur www.TopSecretRecipes.com
Top Review by JMUPatrick
This dish definitely deserves a better rating!! I used to work at Ruby Tuesday and used to get this dish as my server meal all the time. This recipe tastes exactly the same!! The only thing I did slightly differently is after the cheese sauce and pasta were prepared, I tossed the pasta directly in the cheese sauce making sort of a mac 'n cheese. I then topped each dish with a spoonful of black beans, chicken, and freshly made pico de gallo (diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro). I doubled the recipe and made it for a dinner party and it was a HUGE hit!! I will definitely make it again and again!!
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese or 1 (16 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons minced red chili peppers
- 4 tablespoons green chili peppers, minced (1 1/2 pepper)
- 4 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 dash paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- vegetable oil
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 1 dash dried summer savory
- 1 (16 ounce) box penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the barbecue or preheat your stovetop grill.
- Combine the cheese spread with the cream in a small saucepan.
- Saute' the red chili pepper and 2 tablespoons green chili pepper, 2 tablespoons onion, and 1/2 clove garlic in the olive oil for a couple minutes then add the water to the pan so that the peppers do not scorch. Simmer another 2 minutes or until the water has cooked off.
- When the cheese is smooth, add the sauteed vegetables, 1/4 teaspoon salt, sugar, vinegar, and cumin. Leave on low heat, stirring occasionally, until the other ingredients are ready.
- Pour the entire can of beans with the liquid into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining green chili pepper, onions, garlic, a pinch of salt, and a dash of paprika. Bring the beans to a boil, stirring often, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until everything else is ready. By this time the beans will have thickened and the onions will have become transparent.
- Rub the chicken breasts lightly with oil, then season with salt, thyme, and savory.
- Cook the breasts on a hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until done. When they have cooked thoroughly, remove them from the grill and use a sharp knife to slice each breast into 1/2-inch slices, so that they are easier to eat. Retain the shape of the chicken breast by keeping the slices in order with one hand as you slice.
- As the chicken cooks, prepare the pasta in a large pot filled with 3 to 4 quarts of boiling water. Cook the pasta for 12 to 14 minutes or until tender. Drain the pasta in a colander, and toss with the butter.
- When everything is ready, spoon one-fourth of the pasta onto each plate.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the black beans over the pasta.
- Carefully add a sliced breast of chicken, being sure to maintain its shape as you lay the slices on the bed of pasta.
- Spread 1/3 cup of black beans over the chicken.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chopped tomatoes on the beans.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of green onions on the tomatoes and serve immediately. Salt to taste.