Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom used to make this when I was growing up. As kids we loved it because of the deep red color throughout the cake, plus it tasted great. She always used raspberry Jell-o, but you can use any flavor you like - just keep in mind the color that will be spead throughout.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Blend and then beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon 1/3 of the batter into a well greased and floured spongecake pan.
- Sprinkle half of the Jell-o powder over top.
- Repeat layers ending with batter – spread to ensure the Jell-O is covered.
- Bake @ 325 for 45-50 minutes.
- After cooling slightly, remove the cake from the pan and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.