Recipe by Tisme
I found this recipe in an Australian Dairy Cookbook, and these make delcious little cupcakes, with a wonderful cream cheese frosting. I think this recipe could easily be made into a larger cake if preferred.
Top Review by **Jubes**
A quick and easy cupcake to make with a lovely cream cheese frosting. I wasn't sure about the red food colouring....but the cakes turned out just lovely. Chocolate cupcakes with a deep red tone. Enjoyed by my family. Photos also posted. Made for Make My Recipe Tag Game in the Aus/NZ Forum.
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 g cream cheese, softened
- 60 g butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Add remaining cupcake ingredients and beat for 1 minute until mixture is smooth and even in colour.
- Two thirds fill 12 x paper lined muffin pans with the mixture and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pans and cool completely on a cake rack before decorating.
- For icing: Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and creamy. Add the icing sugar and lemon juice and beat well until completely smooth.
- To decorate cupcakes: Cut a small sliver off the top of each cupcake and reserve. Spoon the icing into a thick snaplock bag, snip off the corner and pipe icing in thick swirls onto cooled cupcakes. Crumble the reserved cupcake over the icing.