I found the recipe for these bars at www.cookiemadness.net, made them, LOVED them, and thought they were too delicious not to post on Recipezaar. They're similar to lemon bars, yet sweeter and less tangy. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh grapefruit juice (from a pink or Ruby Red)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated grapefruit zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons flour
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment.
- Combine flour, salt and powdered sugar. Cut in butter (food processor works well) until mixture is coarse and crumbly. It should be very dry.
- Press into pan and bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, grapefruit juice,and grapefruit zest. **Add more zest for a more "grapefruity" flavor.
- Whisk in baking powder, making sure you whisk out any lumps, then whisk in flour.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Cool completely, then sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Lift from pan and cut into squares.
These are really great , will make again. The recipe is exactly the same as my lemon bars, just never thought of using the ruby reds juice before.
Oh My Goodness!!! These were amazing!!!!! think about how delicious lemon bars are and then multiply that by 1000. That's how good these grapefruit bars were. Yummmmm
Delicious as written, but would be better with more zest added. The original lemon bar recipe from which this was adapted called for two tablespoons of zest, this one only one teaspoon. Next time I'll up the zest for more grapefruit taste.