Recipe by kzbhansen
Raspberry-Rhubarb treat. If serving hot prepare the topping early enough to allow to freeze a bit. Otherwise omit the topping ingredients.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed, drained, reserving liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen rhubarb, thawed, drained, reserving liquid
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- juice (reserved liquid from frozen fruit)
- 1 -3 drop red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In measuring cup combine the fruit juices and add water to make 1 cup.
- In medium saucepan combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir in reserved juices. Cook over medium heat until thickened stirring constantly; remove from heat.
- Reserve 2 T. Raspberries for topping.
- Stir remaining berries and rhubarb into the cornstarch mixture. Set Aside.
- If serving hot:.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- In a small bowl combine whipped cream, 2 Tablespoons sugar and reserved raspberries and food coloring.
- Drop in 9 mounds onto wax paper, freeze until firm for the topping.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, rolled oats, and cinnamon. Stir in butter until crumbly.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9 inch square pan.
- Spoon the filling mixture over the crust evenly. Sprinkle the top with remaining crust mixture.
- Bake at 325 for 45-55 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbleing around the edges.
- Cool slightly and serve with the frozen mounds of topping.