Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It's in the Bag! For an easy way to prepare roasts that simplifies preparation and clean-up, try the special cellophane-like oven-safe "bags" that have been on the market for years. The beef remains moist without basting and your oven remains splatter-free.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Follow instructions on package of regular"oven bags".
- Combine first 4 ingredients.
- Place roast in bag and pour jelly mixture over meat.
- Insert meat thermometer through bag into centre of roast.
- Cook roast in"oven bag" placed in roaster for approximately 18 to 21 minutes per lb.
- for rare (140 degrees on meat thermometer), 21 to 23 minutes per lb.
- (42 to 46 minutes per lb) for medium (160 degrees) and 23 to 28 minutes per lb.
- (46 to 56 minutes per lb) for well done (170 degrees).
- Slit bag open and remove roast.
- Slice thinly across the grain and serve drizzled with juices from roast.
- If desired, juices may be thickened with mixture of 2 tbsps.
- each of cornstarch and cold water.
- If you don't have an"oven bag", brown roast on all sides in a large lightly oiled pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook covered for at least 3 hours on stove top or in a 325 degree oven.