Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Gorgeous color and taste. Unsure of serving amounts. Does not include marinating time.
- 1 head purple cabbage
- 1 large red onion, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- Slice the cabbage to a medium thickness. Alternate layers of cabbage and onion in a bowl. Pour 3/4 C sugar over the vegetables and set aside.
- In a small pot bring to a boil 1 T sugar, vinegar, salt, celery seed and mustard. Add the vegetable oil and again bring to a boil.
- Pour over the vegetables. Cover and refrigerate while hot for 3 hours. Toss and refrigerate 1 hour more.