Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love Rubio's fish tacos and burritos. This recipe is courtesy of Chef Ernie Vega, Rubio’s Baja Grill. Let me know that you think!
- 1 tortilla
- 1 ounce guacamole
- 1 ounce monterey jack cheese
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese
- 5 1⁄2 ounces refried beans
- 3 ounces grilled mahi mahi
- 1⁄4 ounce cilantro
- 1⁄4 ounce onion
- 1 ounce salsa fresca
- 3⁄4 ounce cabbage
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 12 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Layer cheese, beans and mahi in tortilla. Add cilantro, onion and cabbage.
- Top with guacamole, chipotle white sauce and salsa.
- Roll tightly into burrito shape.
- To make Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- Bring large pot of water to boil.
- Add chilies and boil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Puree chiles with 1/4 cup cooking liquid in blender. Strain through sieve. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon chipotle paste, onion, rosemary, pepper, shallot and garlic and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced by half.
- Add cream and boil until reduced to thin sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Taste, adding more chipotle paste if desired. Add cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.) Add chipotle cream sauce to your burrito to give it that creamy and tangy Rubio's flavor.