Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love Rubio's fish tacos and burritos. This recipe is courtesy of Chef Ernie Vega, Rubio’s Baja Grill. Let me know that you think!
- 1 tortilla
- 1 ounce guacamole
- 1 ounce monterey jack cheese
- 1 ounce cheddar cheese
- 5 1⁄2 ounces refried beans
- 3 ounces grilled mahi mahi
- 1⁄4 ounce cilantro
- 1⁄4 ounce onion
- 1 ounce salsa fresca
- 3⁄4 ounce cabbage
Chipotle Cream Sauce
- 12 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- Layer cheese, beans and mahi in tortilla. Add cilantro, onion and cabbage.
- Top with guacamole, chipotle white sauce and salsa.
- Roll tightly into burrito shape.
- To make Chipotle Cream Sauce:
- Bring large pot of water to boil.
- Add chilies and boil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Puree chiles with 1/4 cup cooking liquid in blender. Strain through sieve. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon chipotle paste, onion, rosemary, pepper, shallot and garlic and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wine and boil until reduced by half.
- Add cream and boil until reduced to thin sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Taste, adding more chipotle paste if desired. Add cornstarch mixture and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before using.) Add chipotle cream sauce to your burrito to give it that creamy and tangy Rubio's flavor.
Just made the sauce to use with fish stick tacos and the works. DELCIOUS SAUCE! Worth the effort!
We really liked this. We have a Rubioâ€™s down the street but sometimes I just want to stay home so I decided to try this out. The only thing I did differently was add about 1/2 tsp salt to the chipotle cream sauce. I threw out the chipotle paste before I read "adding more chipotle paste if desired" :-( I would have added about 1/2 tsp more I think. The sauce was still FANTASTIC! A note, be careful when pureeing and straining the chilies I had trouble breathing and my eyes were burning. Gas cloud!!