2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
According to the site where I found this recipe, this soup is traditionally served on Thursdays and is usually followed by crepe-like pancakes and whipped cream and preserves for dessert. A teaspoon of grainy brown mustard on top of each serving helps to enhance the flavors.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried yellow peas (whole if you can get them, but split ones work just as well) or 1 lb green peas (whole if you can get them, but split ones work just as well)
- 8 cups water
- 2 finely chopped onions (2 cups)
- 1 peeled whole onion studded with 2 clove
- 1 large chopped carrot (1/2 cup)
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 -3 ham hocks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- grainy brown mustard
- 1Rinse and pick through the peas. If using whole peas, allow to sit in the water you'll use for your soup overnight. This is unnecessary if you're using split peas as long as you simmer the soup for 2-3 hours.
- 2Fill a large pot with 8 cups water (or 6 if you like a thicker soup, then add water to taste). Add the peas, chopped onions, whole onion with cloves, carrot, and ham bone to the pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 90 minutes.
- 3If using whole peas, skim off any pea skins that have risen to the surface.
- 4Remove 2-3 cups of the soup, purée it, then return the purée to the pot. Continue to simmer at least another 30 minutes.
- 530 minutes before serving, remove the studded onion and the meat. Chop the meat (should be about 1 cup) and return to the pot.
- 6Season with thyme, ginger, salt, and pepper. Simmer 15 more minutes.
- 7Serve with mustard on the side so it may be added to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ärtsoppa: Swedish Yellow Pea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 33.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 605.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried yellow peas