RR's Isaboo's Butternut Squash Mac and Cheddar
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water, then add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, and the butter. When the butter melts into the olive oil, add the thyme, then grate the onion directly into the pot with a handheld grater, such as a Microplane. Cook the onion for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Whisk in the broth, then stir in the butternut squash and heat until warmed through and smooth. Stir in the cream and bring the sauce to a bubble.
- Stir in the cheeses and season to taste with salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Drain the cooked pasta, return it to the pot it was cooked in and add the sauce. Stir together and serve.