Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
these are a great condiment - scatter over a pizza, chop & stir into mashed potatoes, toss with pasta & parmesan cheese! The possibilities are endless.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, the salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Onions are great. This is another wonderful way to eat them.
So good! I could eat these out of a bowl by themselves...which I did a little! :) Mixed the rest in with my mashed potatoes. Will be making these again to add to our BBQ chicken pizza. Made for Best of 2012 Cookbook Tag.
Loved these! I used some on top of burgers and some mixed into mashed potatoes. They made both dishes taste so much better. Thanks Ma Hiker for sharing this great keeper. Made for Cookbook Tag.