- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt the butter in the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, the salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes.