Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this copycat recipe on the web and thought I'd share it.
Make and share this Rozanek's Bakery St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake recipe from Food.com.
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Cut in 1/3 cup butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Pat into the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan.
- For filling, in the mixing bowl, beat the 1 1/4 cups sugar and 3/4 cup butter or margarine until combined.
- Beat in the corn syrup and egg until just combined.
- Add the 1 cup flour and evaporated milk alternately to the mixing bowl, beating until just combined (batter will appear slightly curdled). Pour into crust-lined baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 35 minutes or until cake is nearly firm when you shake it. Let cool in pan on wire rack.
- Remove to serving plate. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
This cake was easy to pull together, and the results were rich and delicious. The texture is what really makes this cake stand out...it is very soft, almost pudding-like (it does cut into squares without completely falling apart, though). This was very rich; almost a little too rich for my taste (I never thought I would say that!). It might be even nicer with some sort of flavoring added to it, maybe some almond extract. Thanks for sharing this recipe!