Recipe by Mareesme
This is a tasty and easy side dish for those who aren't in the mood for potatoes. Beef Consomme should be used, since beef broth will not give the flavor needed for this dish. Since consomme and boullion cubes have a high salt content, I don't add salt. After dish is done, add salt if you think it needs it. The cooking time may seem long, but by simmering it this long, flavors intensify.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, not instant
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 2 (8 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can hot water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- salt, if needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute rice and onion in butter until rice is golden brown.
- Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil, with the exception of salt, since it's suggested to add it to taste when rice is done.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer over lowest heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.