Recipe by Lubie
This is the best recipe I have found for sugar cookie icing. Try my recipe for "World's Greatest Sugar Cookies" for an excellent snack.
Top Review by History Teacher
This is a great recipe for royal icing. I found the flavor combination to be delicious. For those who are unsure about how long to beat the icing- I beat the pasturized egg whites until they were frothy. I then added the powdered sugar, and beat until a soft-medium peak formed. I also made sure I added my powdered sugar gradually- I think the flavor comes out better. Thanks for posting! This will be my go-to royal icing. :)
- 3 -4 egg whites (or equivalent powdered egg white)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat first three ingredients, then thin with a little water, if needed.
- Add almond, vanilla, and butter flavoring.
- Depending on how many colors you want, divide it between several bowls.
- To decorate on top of original layer of icing, thicken with powdered sugar until desired thickness.
- Decorating works best when used in the decorating bags with tips.
- Also, before spreading thin icing over cookies, try putting an outline of thick icing from a small decorating tip around the edge of the cookie.
- This way, the thin icing will not drip over the edge.