Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the best recipe I have found for sugar cookie icing. Try my recipe for "World's Greatest Sugar Cookies" for an excellent snack.
- 3 -4 egg whites (or equivalent powdered egg white)
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 8 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Beat first three ingredients, then thin with a little water, if needed.
- Add almond, vanilla, and butter flavoring.
- Depending on how many colors you want, divide it between several bowls.
- To decorate on top of original layer of icing, thicken with powdered sugar until desired thickness.
- Decorating works best when used in the decorating bags with tips.
- Also, before spreading thin icing over cookies, try putting an outline of thick icing from a small decorating tip around the edge of the cookie.
- This way, the thin icing will not drip over the edge.
This is a great recipe for royal icing. I found the flavor combination to be delicious. For those who are unsure about how long to beat the icing- I beat the pasturized egg whites until they were frothy. I then added the powdered sugar, and beat until a soft-medium peak formed. I also made sure I added my powdered sugar gradually- I think the flavor comes out better. Thanks for posting! This will be my go-to royal icing. :)
This is good frosting! I made this along with your World's Greatest Sugar Cookies. It was fabulous, and even held in the fridge for a couple days, I just remixed it and it was perfect! The taste was wonderful, and the flavorings are perfect! I was putting hardly any frosting on the cookies, but you couldnt taste the frosting at all.....so next time I will PILE this frosting on! LOL Thanks so much for a wonderful Royal Icing recipe!
Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" for the outstanding royal icing recipe. I have tried lots of recipes but this one is definately a KEEPER! Good enough to put in my recipe box.