Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
It will make your cakes 100 percent prettier and taister. I got this recipe from a baking book called "Creative Cake Decorating." Hope you enjoy it as much as I do ;)
- 3 egg whites
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted (about 4 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream of tarter.
- Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or till very stiff.
- Use at once, covering icing in bowl at all times with wet paper towel to prevent from drying.
I made this icing to go with my new Roll-out Cookie recipe. The icing was very white, easy to pipe from the bag, and turned out beautifully. My cookies look good enough to eat now! I'm adding this good basic recipe to my cookbook.
This was my first time making Royal Icing, and this was an easy recipe to follow. I substituted lemon extract for the vanilla, and couldn't taste any lemon. So I would suspect that much more lemon or vanilla would be needed to actually get any sense of additional flavor. The icing dried harder than I would have liked, but that may just be a feature of Royal Icing. But overall this icing was a nice addition to the cookies I made.
Perfect! It worked perfect and it tasted wonderful!