Recipe by Miss Annie
A recipe for cookie icing.
Top Review by * Pamela *
I received this exact recipe from my daughter's grade 1 teacher for the gingerbread houses they were making in class. This icing was easy to make and spreading was a breeze. I doubled the recipe and used a 1 kg package of icing sugar and it was the perfect consistancy. I didn't use any coloring this time, but I will be making this to frost cookies in the future and I will try it with the coloring then. Thanks for this recipe!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- paste food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed on mixer until frothy.
- Add half of powdered sugar, mixing well.
- Add remaining sugar and beat 5-7 minutes at high speed, until mixture is stiff and holds a peak.
- Color with desired amount of paste food coloring.
- NOTE: Icing dries very quickly; keep icing covered with a damp cloth when not using.