Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Ginger Syrup can be purchased online and at coffee shops, gourmet shops and some health food and grocery stores. Recipe courtesy Dale DeGroff, 'King of Cocktails."
- 1 1⁄2 ounces canadian rye whiskey (Crown Royal)
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 slice orange
- 1 maraschino cherry
- 2 dashes ginger syrup
- powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- cinnamon, for garnish (optional)
- orange zest, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare a rock glass by frosting the rim with a mixture of powdered cinnamon and sugar.
- Muddle the fruits together with the marmalade and the syrup in the bottom of a mixing glass, then add Canadian rye whiskey and ice.
- Shake well and strain the drink into the prepared rock glass over ice.
- Garnish with a flamed orange zest if desired.
- If you want to make your own ginger syrup, place one cup sugar, 1 three-inch piece ginger and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook about 1 hour, until ginger flavor is quite strong. Let cool; strain before using. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to a week. This makes one cup. (For a more intense flavor, make this syrup a day before using, allowing the ginger to sit in the syrup, refrigerated, overnight.).