Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spicy Chicken Curried in Almond and Butter, Nepali style
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 3 fresh red chilies
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan pepper (timur)
- 4 green cardamoms, bruised
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for browning
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- salt and pepper
- Grind garlic, ginger, fresh red chilies, curry powder, nutmeg, timur, cardamom and almonds with water into a paste.
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and brown chicken in a sauce pan.
- Reserve browned chicken in a bowl.
- Drain oil and clean the pan, heat butter.
- Add turmeric, chopped onion and sauté till brown.
- Transfer the almond paste to the onion mixture.
- Stir for a few minutes till the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Turn down heat to low; add cream, broth, salt and pepper; mix well and cook until a consistent mixture is achieved.
- Transfer browned chicken to the almond sauce.
- Cook on low heat till chicken is tender and the almond sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti (flat bread).
What a fantastic recipe! A really great yellow colour, everybody wolfed it down. I used half double cream & half single cream, and added an extra cardamon.