Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Spicy Chicken Curried in Almond and Butter, Nepali style
Make and share this Royal Chicken Tarkari recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch strips
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 3 fresh red chilies
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechwan pepper (timur)
- 4 green cardamoms, bruised
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for browning
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- salt and pepper
- Grind garlic, ginger, fresh red chilies, curry powder, nutmeg, timur, cardamom and almonds with water into a paste.
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and brown chicken in a sauce pan.
- Reserve browned chicken in a bowl.
- Drain oil and clean the pan, heat butter.
- Add turmeric, chopped onion and sauté till brown.
- Transfer the almond paste to the onion mixture.
- Stir for a few minutes till the oil starts to separate from the mixture.
- Turn down heat to low; add cream, broth, salt and pepper; mix well and cook until a consistent mixture is achieved.
- Transfer browned chicken to the almond sauce.
- Cook on low heat till chicken is tender and the almond sauce has thickened.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti (flat bread).
What a fantastic recipe! A really great yellow colour, everybody wolfed it down. I used half double cream & half single cream, and added an extra cardamon.